History of the hut
First Rifugio in the Tofane Area – second in the Ampezzo Valley – was inaugurated on the 16th of August 1886, originally named Rifugio Tofana, was destroyed during WWI.
On the 5th of September 1921 the CAI section of Cortina restored a big army barrack and dedicated it to the General Cantore (fallen at Forcella Fontananegra – 20 of July 1915).
On the 17th of September 1972 the final Refuge was built just next the two previous ones; with the financial help of the “Banca Commerciale Italiana di Milano” and named after the mountaineer Avv. Camillo Giussani.
Nowadays the Refuge Cantore is no more in use and the Refuge Tofana (restored in 1994) functions as a winter bivouac.
Management: After 38 years Mauro Dapoz takes over from his father Vittorio Dapoz. Mauro is a ski instructor and he was for many years the local CNSAS Supervisor (Alpine Search and Recovery).